1. Don’t be afraid to say, “I’m sorry.” Many times you get angry over something very small and insignificant such as leaving a light on or not closing a door. If you let enough of these inconsequential problems pile up they can turn into something larger. Remember to apologize when the occasion calls for it.
2. Financial matters are often argued over. Give some thought to this and come up with a plan and a budget. Perhaps a joint savings account where you keep some extra money for those things you want that are not really necessary items.
3. Don’t be selfish. Every now and then give in to your partner and let them choose what movie to watch or what restaurant to eat at.
4. Another tip on ways to save a marriage is not forgetting to say thank you. This is important. If you never say thanks, your mate may begin to feel taken advantage of. This is true for small things and big things.
5. Surprise your partner occasionally with a small gift or a favorite meal. You’ll be amazed how good this can make you feel.
6. If you are angry with each other, don’t take that time to discuss important issues. Wait until you have cooled down and are calm.
7. Don’t bring up and rehash past mistakes. Let them stay in the past.
8. Think before you speak. Often we speak critically and say things before we have a chance to filter those thoughts. Count to 10 if you must.
9. Accept his or her annoying habits. Everyone has them and, surprisingly, these are the things you would miss if they were gone.
10. A final tip on ways to save a marriage is to ask what your partner is thinking sometimes. Don’t just assume you know.